Monday, January 3, 2011

some of dese mornin's

Led Zeppelin is one of my favorite bands of all time. No matter the mood, they have a tune for me. My latest obsession is "Your Time Is Gonna Come." Granted, it is from a male point of view, but you see the message here:
Lyin', cheatin', hurtin, that's all you seem to do
Messin' around, every guy in town
Puttin' me down for thinkin' of someone new
Always the same, playin' your game
Drive me insane, trouble's gonna come to you
One of these days, and it won't be long
You'll look for me, but, baby, I'll be gone

This is all I gotta say to ya,
Your time is gonna come, your time is gonna come

Made up my mind, break you this time
Won't be so kind, it's my turn to cry
Do what you want, I won't take the brunt
It's fadin' away, can't feel you anymore
Don't care what you say 'cause I'm goin' away to stay
Gonna make you pay for that great big hole in my heart
People talkin' all around
Watch out, woman, no longer is the joke gonna be on my heart

You been bad to me, but it's comin' back home to you
Your time is gonna come, your time is gonna come
So, the line in red is one that really sticks out to me. Over the past few days, it has been stuck in my head constantly. There are people and things in my life (or that are thankfully no longer a part of my life) that think they can just do as they please with my heart. Sorry to say- that isn't the case. Yes, I may be hurt. Yes, I may feel low. Yes, I may cry. But dammit, I am a strong woman, and I will pick up the pieces and move forward with my life. It may take a while, and I may stumble along the way, but it couldn't be more true: the day you realize how much you need me, it will be too late.

So, I posted that as my Facebook status yesterday. One of my best friends wrote me an email that really meant a lot to me in response to my post. Here is a snippet of that email:
first time i heard it was in the moby song. turns out that zura hurston referenced it in their eyes were watching god in the '30's. "some of dese mornin's and it won't be long, you gointuh wake up callin' and Ah'll be gone." apparently she was referring to a southern hymn called get away jordan. "you know one of these mornings it won't be long; wanna cross over to see my lord; you gonna look for me chil and i'll be gone." before that, it was a part freedom songs sung by slaves.
So not only did I get an amazing music history lesson, but I realized that music is such a universal timeless language that speaks through and to so many different people. I was really touched by this message. So many ways to say the same thing- and so many people feeling the way I feel. Thank you, friend, for reaching out to me!

Let's sing it one more time just to really get that point across....

One of these days, and it won't be long
You'll look for me, but, baby, I'll be gone