Monday, September 19, 2011

Cooper Young and Thoroughbreds

Friday night was the Cooper Young 4 Miler. Cooper Young is a great part of town- very young and fun. You can often find me there drinking a beer (or 8) at Young Avenue Deli, eating sushi at Do, or playing trivia at Celtic. The race course wound up and down the streets of this adorable neighborhood. Me, Paige, her husband Tal, Ashley, Maureen, and a few other friends had all signed up, and enjoyed sharing the pre-race excitement.

Maureen, Ashley, Me, Paige, Tal

I set a goal of finishing in 35 minutes- that would be just below a 9 minute mile pace. I know that was a bit ambitious considering I do ZERO speed training, but I just had it set in my mind that I would and could hit this goal. I busted out of the gate and finished mile 1 in 8:12. I was proud, but also knew I couldn't hold that pace for 3 more miles. I pulled back and finished mile 2 in 9:12. It was then that the most disgusting wave of nausea poured over me and I felt like I would soon be curled in a bush in the fetal position in a pile of my own vomit. It was terrible. I had eaten a lunch that could have kept a family of 4 full for a week- and it was fighting back with a vengeance. I knew I could make it the last 2 miles, but I was hurtin'. I finished mile 3 in 8:44. I turned up my music, put my head down, and tried to just focus on the finish line in my mind. I finished with 4 seconds to spare....

Official time: 34:56, pace 8:44

Saturday was an awesome day: Farmer's Market, a Clemson victory over Auburn, and the Cooper Young Festival. Beautiful sunshine and a happy heart!

Sunday morning, I woke up at the crack of dawn to join some fellow runners for a nice 12.5 miler. My friend Bruce is part of a great running group, the Germantown Thoroughbreds. They meet every Sunday morning and do a 12.5 mile loop around Germantown, then enjoy coffee and breakfast together. Bruce has tried to get me to join the group for a run for the past 6 months, but I haven't had a chance to make it out there. I usually do my long runs on Saturday (just works better with my schedule) and Germantown is a good 30 minute drive from my house downtown. But, since it was a pull-back week in my training and I only had to do 10 miles, I figured I would go ahead and join the group. Ashley and Paige came also. I was really nervous at first because the group has some amazing runners- well conditioned, experienced, and fast. But, it was the most supportive and positive group I could have imagined! The pack surely had runners of all paces, and there was never a time that I felt I was being left in the dust. They have 4 water stations set up along the way, and even bathrooms along the route! It was fantastic!

Thanks for an amazing run, Thoroughbreds! I cant wait for my next run with you!

About 30 people came out for the run, it was awesome! They all had some amazing stories and were so inspirational. If a 60 year old woman can run a marathon, who am I to say I cant? It definitely planted a dangerous seed of hoping to continue with running past my race in December....

And I got an awesome prize from Bruce for finially making it out to join the group: a BCDD tech tee! I love it! Thanks, Bruce!

I was really sore after the 4 miler, so I took my Sunday run pretty easy. I was exhausted and still sore after this 12.5 miler, so I went home and just crashed. I realized I really need to do a better job of cross-training if I am going to keep my body and mind in a healthy place. This week, it is my goal to integrate a good cross training plan... and to stick with it...

Oh, also, I am starting back on Weight Watchers today. The meeting is at 12:00. Time to regain the control I have lost. It is so easy to say, "I ran 10 miles today, I can eat whatever I want today! And tomorrow! And the next day! Nom nom nom, binge, etc!" Well, no, Amy, that is not the case. I have gained another 5 lbs on top of the 7 I gained over the spring. So, back to the scale. I know I can do it, I just have a few hurdles that I am VERY aware of that I need to work out...

Next week is a 17 miler, the next weekend is the Green Line 1/2 marathon, then I am off to Chicago to cheer on Omar and Andrew in their 1st Marathon- some pretty exciting stuff coming up! I can't wait!