Friday, April 2, 2010

4 in/ 26 out

I. Am. Tired. Getting out of bed this morning after my 4th day of Bikram last night was nearly impossible. Not only did my allergies decide that this was the morning they would start acting up (sneezing, stuffy nose, itchy eyes, bleh), but my body was so tired I couldnt even reach over to turn off the alarm. I am not hurting. I do not feel bad. I am just... tired. My mind. My body. Everything. Tired. I am not upset with feeling this way- it actually makes me happy. I know the Bikram is testing my body and actually doing something. If I didnt feel any physical changes, I would be concerned that I am not pushing myself enough.

As far as the session last night- yuck. It was not good. I was really tired. I was starving, so my stomach kept growling and I would get dizzy very easily. Also, there was this guy that was fantastic standing right in front of me, so every time I looked into the mirror, all I saw was his perfect posture. I wasn't necessarily comparing myself or jealous, it was just very distracting to see him being able to complete each posture with such ease. I think if he had been beside me and not in my constant direct line of vision, it would have been more of a motivation and less of a distraction. It was excessively hot in the studio also. I mean, yes, it is supposed to be hot, but yesterday the heat really got to me. There was a large group there yesterday which probably contributed to the heat- Sandra kept having to adjust the humidifier and open the studio doors to let fresh cool air in. Also, I was an idiot and knocked over my water bottle with about 15 minutes left in the class. Sweet.

As bad as day 4 was, I am not discouraged. Not ever day can be perfect. It is days like these when I appreciate what I am capable of, and look forward to better days.

The posture above, toe stand pose, was one of my happy moments during this session. I can usually get in to it OK (with my hands on the ground, I cannot yet lift my hands to my heart center), but when I attempt to get up from it- which you are meant to do in a very specific way- I usually fall over. But yesterday, I managed to get out of it correctly. It was a bit... UNgraceful, but I did it, nonetheless. Also, I was able to lay back on my elbows in fixed firm- Sandra's adjustments on Day 3 really helped. Slowly getting there!

I have today off. The studio I am going to does not have an evening Friday session and I have to work until 5. So I get today off. I am both sad and happy about this. I am sad because I have ultimately really been enjoying this challenge and looking forward to these 90 minutes of each day. But I am happy because I am looking forward to an evening of relaxing and getting a ton of rest. However, to make up for missing Friday, I am going to TWO classes tomorrow: 8:30am and 3:30pm. THAT should be interesting... wish me luck!