Wednesday, December 8, 2010

ready... set... GO!

First of all, THANK YOU to all of the people that have already shown amazing support. I have some truly amazing people in my life, and I thank you all for being so supportive in my challenges. Keep the good advice, tips, and words of encouragement coming!

I found a training schedule that I really like. Since I really am starting from scratch, I decided to follow an 8 week 5k (3.1 mile) training schedule first, then do a 12 week 1/2 marathon (13.1 mile) training schedule. The timing works out perfectly; I will have extra week to either allow for any missed days along the way or to repeat the last week of training before the race on April 30th. Of course I am obsessive and made a great spreadsheet to use that displays the date, what the program suggests I do, and what I actually do. I think this will be really helpful to track my progress and to keep me motivated. It is printed and hanging on my fridge already. (Nerd, I know, be nice!) I just want to do this right- I dont want to get hurt, and I dont want to ever be unsure of where I should be in my progress.

I went to Fleet Feet and they tested my running style and stride. I got some great shoe suggestions and learned 1) I have very narrow feet, and 2) running shoes should be .5-1 size too big. So thanks, very very cute guy at the running store! Your advice was very helpful!

I also went to Target (of course) and got some cold weather running gear. Of course I would choose the 2 coldest months of the year to take up running. I can always use the treadmill, but I dont want to rely on that; I definitely want to get some "road experience", and also have the chance to mix up my route.

I officially started the schedule yesterday with a simple, slow, calm 1.5 mile run. Nothing huge, but I am glad to be starting off slow. I would rather start slow and do it right then get in over my head. The first 4 weeks of the 5k schedule are very slow, but I am glad for that. It will give me a chance to get my breathing, stride, and cardiovascular system spot on.

Today was a rest/walk day, but I was feeling a little motivated (I enjoy taking my anger and frustration to the gym!) and did some cardio and weight training. Not much, just enough to ease my troubled mind.

Well, thanks again for reading. Again, please keep the tips and advice coming, I really REALLY appreciate it!