Sunday, February 20, 2011

Healthy, whole, and well

I have not been to a Bikram class since August. Can you believe that? 6 months Bikram free. That is so sad. A real tragedy. I miss it terribly. If I won the lottery, the first thing I would do would be to pay off student loans, of course... but the second thing I would do is buy an unlimited lifetime pass to any and all Bikram studios (not that such a thing exists, but I can dream, yes?).

Anyway, point of the story: I miss yoga. A LOT. There is a yoga studio in town that has 'pay what you can' classes that literally mean that: pay whatever amount you can and take a class. It has a wide range of classes... vinyasa, hot, gentle, restorative, etc. I have had every intention of checking out this studio, but we all know how busy life gets. Well, yesterday I finally went. Dropped my $1 in the bucket, rolled out my dusty mat, and sat there nervously (going to a new studio is always kinda strange, at least for me!). Well, let me tell you: it was SPECTACULAR. It was scheduled to be a vinyasa class, but the teacher mixed it up a bit and focused the practice around fire breathing, which is essentially the same thing as Kapalbhati breathing in Bikram, just done in a series of different postures. Through this practice, she focused on opening up communication by stimulating the thyroid, as well as directing energy to those in need by keeping the eyes closed and focusing on the third eye. It was a beautiful class; I am so glad I went. However, it made me realize how out of practice I am. I had a terribly hard time meditating, focusing, and clearing my mind. This saddened me, and I realized I really need to begin practicing regularly again- even if not in formal classes, at least on my own.

OK time for some disclosure:
Interestingly, she dedicated the class to a friend she had lost over the weekend. At the end of class, she told us to pick a person we had recently lost, as we would send our energy and good thoughts their way. I am fortunate enough to not have had any death in my family or circle of friends for quite a while, so when she said this, my mind immediately went to a shocking place: Brandon. I guess the term "lost" is flexible in this situation, because I did, in fact, lose him from my life. She had us focus on their face, repeat a mantra (I cannot remember what it was), and send happiness to wherever they may now be. (This will bring me to another post that I play to post in a few days; something that I have been pondering for quite some time- so stay tuned!) On that note, to be continued...

So yes, yoga was amazing, and I miss it terribly. I need to make time in my life for it. It is a priority. As we left the studio, she told as all to focus on being "healthy, whole, and well."

THEN, of course, today... another "better than the best" run! 6 MILES! OW OW! Maureen joined me, and I am so glad we shared the time together. Her and I both motivate and inspire one another in so many ways; it is a great give and take friendship! Beautiful run, my friend!

The 10k is this coming Saturday, and I AM SO PUMPED!