Thursday, February 17, 2011

"...but I'm scared!"

It is very easy to not do something because you are scared. This can relate to so many different aspects of life. Whether it means not riding a giant roller coaster at the fair or driving on an icy, snowy day, we all have things that scare us and we avoid. Some of these things we can rationalize. "I dont want to fall off the roller coaster and be a pancake on the pavement below." "I don't want to get in a car accident." Easily rationalized, and for the most part, understandable to others.

Fear serves a purpose from time to time, but it can also get in the way of things we should, would, and could do. Let me explain where this is all coming from...

I have a strange fear of walking on grates in the sidewalk. Don't ask me why. I just am. I have no rationalization for it. I will go out of my way to avoid stepping on any sort of opening or grating on a sidewalk. This bodes for a very entertaining tour through any city with me. Still, this doesn't really get in the way of my life on a daily basis. In the words of a true psychology major, it doesn't reduce my quality of life. It doesn't have an impact on my social, occupational, academic, behavior, or other areas of functioning. It just makes me walk a little out of the way (and makes my friends laugh out loud at my ridiculous behavior).

I have felt fear when facing my Bikram challenge and my 1/2M training. Mostly, this fear has to do with the potential for failure. I think the fear of failure is one of the biggest things that keeps any people from doing things. People may not apply for a new job, or try to further their education, or try rock climbing.

Now, don't get me wrong, I think a little bit of fear is a good thing. It keeps you on your toes, gets your adrenaline pumping, and can give you a great rush. On the other hand, fear and being nervous sometimes go hand-in-hand and can paralyze you. Next week, I face a challenge that brings a large amount of fear and makes me extremely nervous (inquire for details, not something I want to share on here). Just thinking about it, my heart races, my face gets flushed, my stomach jumps, and I start breathing fast. Now, I have two choices here, as everyone does when it comes to fear: I can turn and run, or I can face the fear head-on. Fight or flight. Basic human instincts.

Fear has stopped me from doing many things in my life. While this pending challenge is not as important and life-altering as other challenges may have been, I still see it as a huge turning point in my life. I have talked with a few friends about it, and they have been beyond supportive. "It is OK to be nervous, but don't let that stop you. All you have to do is show up." Worst case scenario, even if I fail, at least I won't spend the rest of my life wondering what might have been.