Monday, March 7, 2011

7 miler: 1, Amy: 0

I have been running for 3 months now. During those 3 months, I have never walked during a run. No matter what the distance, conditions, weather, you name it- I have never walked. Until yesterday.

So it was my first day to run 7 miles. I was feeling slightly timid about it, but just kept reminding myself that it is only 1 mile more than the distance I have comfortably run 3 times already. So while it was slightly intimidating, I knew I could do it.

My breathing was fine- I wasn't out of breath, I wasn't struggling at all in that sense. Endurance was fine- my muscles didn't hurt and I felt like I and the energy to continue forever. The problem: my knees. The ITB on my left knee, and some new pain in the back of my right knee. It was dull at first, but after about 4 miles, it was impossible to ignore. I got to 4.5 miles, and my knees just gave out. I couldn't do it. I was in so much pain, it was unbearable. I stopped and stretched for a few minutes, hoping maybe that would help the pain. I started jogging again, and nearly face-planted on the sidewalk. It was like nothing I have ever felt before. So.... I walked.
All.
The.
Way.
Home.
2.5 miles.
Defeated. I was so upset. So sad. It was the longest walk of shame of my life. I tried to jog a few times here and there, but after just a few paces, the pain was back to an unbearable level. I was completely defeated.

When I got home, I just got right in the shower and cried. It was the first time since I started this challenge that I felt that perhaps my goal is unobtainable. Maybe my body isn't cut out for this. Maybe I wont make it. It is the worst feeling ever.