Thursday, March 3, 2011

Another one bites the dust

Well, another pair of work pants will be retired to the "keep these in the back of the closet because I like them too much to part with them" pile. I know it is best to get rid of clothes that are too big because if you have them, it is "ok" to gain weight because you will have clothes that fit. Well, while that theory makes perfect sense, I am a clothes hoarder (admitting it is the first step, right?) and I refuse to get rid of them.

I have only lost a total of 13.2 lbs, but my body has completely changed due to my running. Fat has turned to lean muscle, and I am more toned. So while the scale isn't showing any drastic changes, my clothes are fitting in a way that makes me enjoy picking out something to wear in the morning! I still have work to do, and I am not exactly where I want to be yet, but seeing/feeling progress is a huge motivation!

One of the classes I am taking this semester is Intro to Nutrition. I am taking it 1) because I am a nerd and have always wanted to take a course on this subject, 2) the research I am doing at work looks at how nutrition affects cognitive development, and I thought learning more about this topic would be a tremendous help, and 3) it is free (thank you, UTHSC employee benefits!). I have learned so many interesting things in this class, and my lifestyle and diet have really changed over the past month. Being both a vegetarian and a Weight Watchers member, I already have some knowledge on making smart choices, but this course has really opened my eyes to a lot of interesting things I never knew. Now, life is a tad too busy right now to write all that I want to share about my new nutrition knowledge, but mark my word: I will post an informational blog on what I have learned so anyone needing some guidance in building a healthier diet can learn a thing or two. Mostly, I am just a nerd and I want to show off my new smarts.