Monday, April 11, 2011

Monday ramblings

If someone ever told me that one day I would be capable of running 10 miles, I would have laughed in their face. It is amazing what we are capable of with just a bit of dedication, determination, effort, and the support of those around us.

My 10 mile run went perfectly. It is starting to get very warm and humid here in Memphis, so I had to get up pretty early to beat the heat; if waking up at 7:30 on a Saturday and leaving the most comfortable bed on earth isnt dedication, then I dont know what is! I am glad I ran early, though, because by the time I was finishing up the last mile, it was getting slightly uncomfortable. I have never been one to handle the heat well- I would get heat exhaustion at least 5 times every summer when I was little. I still have a hard time with it, and no matter how hydrated I am, I fall apart if I am too hot for too long. I am worried to see how the Memphis summers of 110 degree heat plus 95% humidity will affect my continuation with running. Anyway, the distance was very bearable. I was getting a tiny bit tired towards the end, and I was starving, which I though was strange. Beyond that, I felt on top of the world!

I woke up on Sunday morning with a cold. Yea, that's right, a damn cold. Three of my participants last week were snotty, boogery, coughing, sneezing, slobbery messes... and no amount of rest, vitamin C, and hand sanitizer could protect me. So here I am with a sore throat, fever, stuffy nose, and feeling completely exhausted. Bleh. I still managed to get to the gym for a quick 2 mile run on the treadmill last night (followed immediately by a trip to TCBY... they cancel each other out, right?) and I plan on getting lots of rest tonight. Hopefully this bug wont linger too long...

Other than getting this cold, I had a spectacular weekend. I have such wonderful people in my life, and I am so thankful for the many things that have come my why while living in Memphis. Sometimes it is really easy to get caught up in the negative emotions in our lives, but it is amazing how far a little bit of patience and dedication will get you. Today marks my 9 month anniversary in Memphis, and to say my life has changed a million times for the better since I moved here would be an understatement. It has not been easy, and there were many occasions when I was ready to throw in the towel, but I am really glad I stuck it out. Life really seems to be falling into place now. I love my friends here. My job can be frustrating and beyond stressful, but I know the work I am doing will get me where I want to be in my career, so it is worth it. I am feeling healthy and whole. And as I have said multiple times lately- my heart is full of happiness. I am exactly where I am supposed to be.

I hope you all had a wonderful weekend! Spring is such a beautiful season- get out and enjoy every bit of it that you can!