Saturday, May 7, 2011

Finally, let's talk about the race, shall we?

Well, let me tell you... that whole "once school and running is done with, I will have so much time on my hands I wont know what to do with myself" thing couldnt have been more wrong! The past week was very busy, and I never got a chance to write about the race! My apologies! Now, without further ado, LETS RACE:

I got to Nashville on Friday afternoon. It was the first time I had been back since, ya know, everything. It was weird to be back. It wasnt a sad feeling, not an angry feeling... just a, feeling. So much happened in that city that changed my life. Pretty emotional return, but I was looking forward to creating new, beautiful memories there.

Saturday at 4am came quickly, and I was an antsy mess. Rachel and I got to the start line in plenty of time to take a nervous pee, stretch, and take a few pictures:

"I'm a professional stretcher..."

Bruce and I sharing some last words of encouragement.

Gettin' psyched!

I was so excited. A little nervous, but mostly excited. The moments before the race began are a blur. I know I said my "good lucks" to friends and went and did my own thing- I really wanted to do this alone. I started in corral #14, so it was a good 20 minutes after the race started until I was released. Once I started running... it was amazing... I can't even explain. I could try, but it wouldnt do the emotions justice.

The spectators were phenomenal. So much energy and a constant source of support. It was a great feeling!
I saw some hysterical posters:
-"Worst parade ever"
-A giant cut-out of Dumbledore with a sign that said "Run like you don't know who is chasing you"
-"Run like your pants are on fire"
And there were a few that really hit my heart:
-A cancer survivor holding a simple sign: "Thanks" (the race was for the American Cancer Society)
-"Where are YOU running toward?"
-"Never look back."

I felt amazing. The miles seemed to fly by. Before I knew it, I was at the 10k mark and feeling like I could conquer the world.

Smiling big!

Around mile 7, we hit the 12th South part of Nashville. This is where I lived for the last year of my time there. The memories came flooding back with vengeance: days in the park playing scrabble and drinking wine, snowball fights in the front yard, beers on the patio at 12th south taproom, popsicles at las paletas... it hit me hard. My heart began to hurt. My eyes began to swell up, and the tears fell. Then, as the emotions tried to get the best of me, I started breathing hard, which made it much harder to run. I said to myself, "Are you going to let nostalgia ruin this for you? That is the past. Leave it there. I can do this." I wiped the tears from my face, lifted my gaze ahead, looked at the mile-long hill ahead of me, and ran my heart out. I ran hard. It was a long, slow, steady incline, and I never let myself look down or back. I kept looking ahead and pushing... This was my time.

The miles rolled on. I had my watch on, and I was proud of the time I was making. Around mile 10, I began to feel exhausted. I had been hydrating along the way, but my ankles were killing me from the hills. We got to a stretch of the race where there was very little spectator support and very ugly scenery. Miles 10-12 were rough, I'll be honest.

Must... keep... running...

But then, the band at mile 12 was playing, go figure, Good Directions by Billy Currington... one of "our" favorite songs together. The nostalgia hit again. But this time, rather than feeling sad, I was filled with this insane energy and determination. It was like a wave came over me and I was completely rejuvenated. My body felt no fatigue, my heart felt no pain, and I had tunnel vision towards the finish line. I ran so fast- I probably had an easy 8 minute mile.

That last stretch over the bridge into LP field was a complete blur. Before I knew it, I was across the line and someone was handing me a medal and I was being pushed into a giant crowd of sweaty people cheering and congratulating one another. Someone handed me water, someone gave me a high five, I stopped my watch: 2:03:40... and I cried. I sobbed. I managed to call mom and tell her my time and that I had finished. I was pushed along with the crowd and just bumbled around like a lost fool. Just like that, it was done. I finished. I ran a 1/2 marathon. I ran 13.1 miles. Like, I RAN the whole thing. I didnt walk. I didnt give up. And just like that- it was over. 5 months of training. 5 months of hard work. 5 months of determination, fear, excitement, and focus. It really as a blur...

The finish line will set you free.

I found Bruce and we talked for a bit. He has been such a wonderful friend and mentor through all of this, and I am so thankful for all he has offered.

Bruce and I, UTHSC represent!

Then I found Rachel and some other friends and we kicked the fun into full gear...

Free beer? Yes, please!

Victory shots!

Re-hydrating with some PBR.

Clemson friends cheering me on and sharing a few beers!

We had a great time that afternoon celebrating. I was a sore mess- my legs felt like they had been beaten with a bag of rocks and nails. But it was worth every ibuprofen I had to pop.

So, here it is, 1 week later. I ran 3 miles with Maureen on Tuesday and it was rough, but nothing I couldnt handle. It made me realize that I really ENJOY running, and I have gained a real passion out of this challenge. Kevin got me a 1 month unlimited pass to the Bikram studio here as a "congratulations" gift- he is wonderful! It felt amazing to be back in the studio! My first class back, the teacher ended by saying "...and remember, dont ever let anyone steal your peace. namaste." How perfect. Thank you, Kevin, for reuniting me with my Bikram practice!

I bet you are just dying to ask... "So, Amy, are you going to do another?!"

The answer is a resounding Y-E-S! I am already registered for another 11 mile race on June 5th, and..... *drum roll please* I am going to run the St Jude FULL MARATHON this December. Pure insanity? You betcha! But we will save that conversation for a later date!

Well, there ya have it. Another challenge come and gone. Thank you to everyone who has read my ramblings, offered support, advice, and love over the past 5 months. I couldnt have done it without you guys. (Some shout-outs? Sure! Maureen, Andrew, Sarah, Bruce, Omar, Annie, Krista, Kevin, Kate, Rachel, Colby, Jennifer, Hudson, Val, Sally, Mom, Dad, Ellie, Kathe... the list goes on and on and on...)

And with that, I leave you with the words that got me through the hard times only to come out shining on the other side, brighter, better, stronger, and happier than ever:

Love life. Be brave.