Thursday, May 12, 2011

26.2 miles = insane

I think people who run marathons are insane.
I think 26.2 miles is way too far for a person to run.
I think the human body is not meant to run that far.

So why did I just register for the St. Jude's FULL MARATHON?

Because I am crazy. 100% mental.

Here are my reasons for choosing this insane challenge:

1) I am already in good shape and have a solid running base, so why not keep the momentum going?
2) I am not getting any younger. Or any less busy. Now is the time.
3) If all else fails, I just do the 1/2 marathon route.
4) I have a few running buddies here in Memphis that have agreed to help me and keep me company on my long run days.
5) Since the race is not until December, I will have the hot, nasty summer months to just keep up my base, then I wont have to begin my serious training until the fall when the weather has settled down a bit.
6) I am crazy.
7) The race is here in Memphis, so it will be very little stress for me. I will know the route, I can train on the course, I wont have to worry about hotels or travel costs or anything, and I will have TONS of fan support (right, friends?!).

So, next challenge: run 26.2 miles.... aaaaaaaaaaand GO!