Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Happy Anniversary, Memphis!

365 days ago, I moved to this big, hot city by the river. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I knew only of the rumors and stereotypes of crime and animosity that plague Memphis. I had a job, yes. But I had no friends, no family, and no idea how to even find a grocery store. The move here was very rushed, and I was still unsure if I had made the right decision.

Before I wrote this post, I went back and read through this blog... and I must say, I am really proud of myself. My, how things have changed.

Looking back, I see this move to Memphis as exactly what I needed in my life. I needed to lose that fool. I needed to push the limits of my own personal strength and abilities. I needed to test myself. And most importantly, I needed to FIND myself.

Beyond my journey of self-exploration, I have been blessed with so many spectacular things over the past 8 months:

I befriended Maureen, Kate, and Val- 3 of the most amazing and supportive ladies a girl could ask for.
I have made tons of wonderful friends that have brought many laughs and excitement into my life.
I trained for and completed a 1/2 marathon... and registered for a full marathon!
I lost weight and fine-tuned my health.
I got a tattoo! And I love it!
I strengthened my academics with further graduate courses at U of M.
I received tremendous praise for my exceptional work with my job.
I got an outstanding promotion at work- an opportunity that will prove priceless to my career.
I met Kevin.

I know now that I was meant to come to Memphis. I was meant to face those hardships in order to be rewarded with brilliance.  I can say with confidence now that I am hopelessly grateful for the opportunities that I have been given during my time here. Don't get me wrong- it has been hard... but well worth the fight. I look forward to the next year here, and I am excited for the challenges that lay ahead! I put my faith in the power of the universe, knowing it will provide and guide me in the right direction.

Thank you, from the bottom of my heart, to everyone that has been by my side (both near and far) during this journey. I am grateful to have each and every one of you in my life!

Cheers, Memphis!

"Anyone can give up, it's the easiest thing in the world to do. But to hold it together when everyone else would understand if you fell apart, that's true strength." 
[Jackie Kennedy]