Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Holiday ohhhh holiday....

My favorite things about fall:
-Pumpkin flavored EVERYTHING
-Open windows and a breeze blowing through the house
-The smell of the heater being turned on for the fist time
-Hooded sweatshirts and jeans
-Making soup
-Clemson football
-Picnics
-The smell of the leaves falling and the crunch of leaves under my feet
-Cold air and warm sun on my skin
-Putting my down comforter back on my bed
-Memories of Vermont
-And my most recent addition to the list... RUNNING IN COOL, FALL WEATHER!!!

So, I ran a lot this lovely, 3-day Labor Dayweekend...
Saturday: 10 miles with Ashley and Paige. Best part- I felt like I could have kept running. I felt great.
Sunday: 6 miles with Kate. It was pouring rain, but with good company.
Monday: 8 miles with Maureen. It couldn't have been a more beautiful day- the weather was perfect!
24 miles in 3 days, not bad! (Until I think about the idea of running all that, plus 2, all at once... yea... about that....)

Let me tell ya, Mother Nature is sticking to her rules this month... Labor Day hits, and BAM, the weather cools off. It was, dare I say, COLD the past 2 days. It's wild how quickly it changed. I am really happy about this though. The past 2 months of heat and humidity have been a real test of my determination and endurance. I am glad that is all over with!

Oh, but the one thing I cant stand about fall (or the changing of the seasons, period): unpacking my clothes for that season and realizing you've put on a few pounds since the last time you wore those clothes... yikes! I have been pretty good about eating, but the past 2 weeks I have been out of control. I have thought a lot about if I should try to get back on the WW bandwagon or not. The meetings really don't work for my schedule, but if it is important to me, I will make it work. I am going to try to get back on the point system this week and see how it goes. If I need the meetings, I will work something out. But I bought too many cute pants spring to keep them hidden in the closet... (Of course, as soon as I write this, Eszter comes by with a bag of chocolate for me- I love my friends, but my pants do not!)

From this point forward, all of my long runs will be my longest run ever and a personal record. This coming weekend will be 15 miles. I am really excited for it; I am excited to get back into the mindset of each run being a huge milestone in my life and in my training.

So... three cheers for fall weather and personal records!