Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I didnt know I could hurt there....

Yesterday Eszter, Maureen and I ventured out to our first spin class. None of us had been to one before, but we were all masochistically curious. So, why not give it a try? I know I need to cross train a LOT more. Plus, with this bloody ankle pain, I wanted to try something that would be a good workout yet keep major strain off my joints. Of course the 3 of us wander in there like a bunch of bumbling idiots... How do we move the bikes? How do I adjust the seat? I don't know what I am doing? Why am I leaning over so far? And of course... Why does this seat hurt my ass so much?! But, we somehow managed to get ourselves situated.

In a nutshell- I loved it. I broke a killer sweat and my heart rate was really high, and it felt GOOD. I don't do any speed or sprint training in my running, so it was good to really push myself. It is funny, though- I can run 17 miles, but 60 minutes on a bike and I am beat! Just goes to show, cross training is essential! My ankle felt fine- no pain at all. Very thankful for this.

After class, I knew I was sold. I want to go back as often as I can. BUT, there is ONE LITTLE issue...

My ass? My crotch? My female parts? I don't know what that spot is called, but HOLY CRAP IT HURTS! I had no idea such a random, small spot on your body could hurt so much! Sitting right now is a challenge. Walking is not comfortable. But, alas, a small price to pay for such a great workout. I am hoping that with time the pain will be less and I will get used to it... right? yes? please? maybe? I hope?

I have come to terms with the fact that this 1/2 marathon probably wont be that great as far as my time is concerned- I was really hoping to finish this race in under 2 hours. I know I can since I finished my first 1/2 in 2:03, so really, there is no question that I CAN. But, I don't want to risk pushing myself too hard and hurting my ankle even more. It isn't worth really hurting myself and missing out on the race in December. There will be plenty more 1/2s to work on my time and such. So, I will just see this race as a nice, leisurely, slow, happy jog... with cheering, spectators, and a medal at the end :)