Monday, February 27, 2012

Move It Memphis 10k RECAP

Saturday was my first race since the Marathon back in December, and I was really excited to get back in the game!

Me, Maureen, and Eszter before the race! This was Eszter's 1st 5k, and 1st race in the US!

As I mentioned before, this was my first RACE REMATCH. Let's go ahead and spoil the ending right away so those of you that don't want the boring details can move on with your lives:

Time: 54:31
Pace: 8:47


This is 27 seconds faster than my time last year, increasing from an 8:52 pace to an 8:47 pace.

Fantastic that I improved, definitely! And I am very, very proud of this! Buuuuuut... not the time I was shooting for. I was really hoping to finish in 50 minutes, about an 8:30 pace. Honestly, I should have known better than to set such a lofty goal. Oh well, lesson learned. And at the end of the day, while I did not reach my goal, it is still a PR for me, and that's SERIOUSLY AWESOME.

I was feeling a little bit off as the race began- my head was in a very weird place, I don't really know how to describe it. I tried to clear my mind and enjoy the race, but I was so focused on doing well that it kinda took over.

I wore my Garmin, but didn't look at it until I reached the 5k mark. (I have a tendency to obsess!) I was at 26 minutes at the 5k mark, which was awesome. But once that dam broke and I saw my potential, my mind went all spastic and I became this obsessed freak looking at the watch every 30 seconds, constantly analyzing my projected finish time. The 2nd half of the race, I was so mentally gone. Too much pressure. Really coulda used a chill pill.

Nonetheless, crossed the finish time looking like the wonderful spaz you all know and love:


This one makes me laugh. I look like a complete fool.


Another race under my belt, another medal on my wall, and another unforgettable experience!