Thursday, April 8, 2010

10 in/ 20 out

So far, most battles have been mental. This past class was a bit more physical- kinda. I was extremely nauseous and dizzy. It didn't start until we got to tree pose, and it didn't let up for the rest of the class. Every time I stood up or sat up from savasana, my head would spin and I would feel sick to my stomach. I sat out 1 or 2 sets because I simply couldn't move without feeling like I would pass out or throw up. I also felt very numb- almost exactly the sensation as when I get tremors (when I am nervous, yea, I go numb and get tremors, bet you didn't know that about me...). My face around my mouth, pinkies, feet, and thighs go completely tingly numb, and my thighs shake. I have never had this happen in any situation other than being extremely nervous- until this session. And the weird thing is that I wasn't nervous at all- I have no idea why this happened at that moment. It was so extremely strange. I wasn't in a bad mental state (shocking, after the day I had) and I wasn't feeling negative at all. I actually did quite well in my postures (well, the ones I was able to attempt). I don't know what it was. It may have been something I ate during the day, or maybe since it is "that time" (sorry, tmi?)... also, it was REALLY hot in there. Usually it is around 104 or 105 degrees, but when we left the room, the thermometer showed 108 (and this was after the door had been opened several times for people to leave- it was probably up to at least 110 during the bulk of the session)... Not cool (no pun intended).

We had a new teacher for this session, and I wasn't very impressed with her. Not just because she allowed it to get to such an extreme temperature, but also her teaching technique wasn't very good. She was extremely monotone. She had no life or excitement in her voice. She was not motivating or reinforcing at all. She sounded like a recording. She stood completely still on the teacher platform and didn't move once. I prefer a teacher that is more involved and more passionate about the practice.

This is rabbit pose. I don't really get it. I mean, I understand the purpose of it, but it hurts my neck slightly. I think I am doing it wrong. I think I don't pull on my ankles enough. I don't know.