Wednesday, April 28, 2010

30 DAYS!


I did it. I really did it. 30 days. 90 minutes. 105 degrees. 26 postures. I did it.

As we were pulling into the studio last night, the Rocky theme song came on. We laughed as we got "pumped" for our last class. I had the song stuck in my head the whole time. It made me giggle.

Class was wonderful. My discipline and focus are improving incredibly. My breathing is calm and rhythmic. While the physical improvement is not coming as quickly, I am OK with this slower progress. I am so happy with how far I have come over the past 30 days.

So, the question is- Do I go for 60 days? I can easily answer YES. I am really enjoying Bikram, and to stop now would leave me feeling empty. I know I can make it another 30 days. As I have mentioned before- the lack of social life I have experienced during this time is well worth the sacrifice. A day without Bikram feels incomplete. It has calmed me mentally, and helps me meditate and work through any stress or troubles I may be harboring. So, 60 days it is!

I took before and after pictures. Unfortunately, I was not as pleased with the comparison as I had hoped. Therefore, during the next 30 days, I am really going to focus on a strict high protein, low(ish) carb, low sugar menu. I wouldn't call this a diet- it is more of a complimentary food lifestyle. I want to make the most of the physical benefits of Bikram. So I am just going to be a bit more conscious of what I eat- which honestly shouldn't take too much work. I already eat very well, but there is always room for improvement. So, needless to say, you don't get to see the before and after pictures... yet. Maybe after 60 days!

Of course I cried. Did you really think I wouldn't?! Before the final breathing exercise, Sandra and the class congratulated Sarah and I on our accomplishment. It was a wonderful feeling to have the room note our response. It is always such a supportive, team feeling in that studio- I just love it. During the final savasana, I couldn't stop smiling. My face hurt from smiling. I cried out of joy. I did it. I really did it. This is a huge accomplishment in my life. Physically. Mentally. In so many ways. I let go of so many anxious and neurotic tendencies. I am very calm. I wish I could even begin to explain the changes that have taken place over the past 30 days, but I simply cant find the words. As I layed there, smiling big, tears filling my eyes, I kept saying "Thank you. Thank you. Thank you for bringing me here." I don't know who I was thanking.

So there ya go. 30 days of Bikram. I hope I didn't bore you all too terribly. I really enjoyed writing about my experience. I enjoyed your comments and thoughts. I hope to keep writing during the next 30 days, so please keep reading!

Namaste.