Thursday, May 6, 2010

Day 37

I believe in the power of Bikram yoga. I believe it has the power to heal and improve your body and soul. However, there is a lot of skepticism (as there should be) about the validity of this yoga and the sincerity that drives Bikram Choudhury to spread his technique. Some feel he is a con-man who is just out to brainwash others and take money from them. Other are firm believers and follow him with determination and trust. I am on the fence. I have experienced first hand the power of this practice and I believe in the practice itself, yet I am skeptical as to just why it costs so much to become Bikram certified and why there is such a cult-like, pyramid scam stigma attached to Bikram himself. So in order to get a clearer picture of the whole idea, I started reading "Bikram Yoga: The Guru Behind Hot Yoga Shows the Way to Radiant Health and Personal Fulfillment." It is a book written by Choudhury that explains his story and the rational behind the postures. Of course it is going to be a biased view, as it is written by Choudhury himself, but I still am very interested in finding out just why Bikram yoga is so powerful and how it has the ability to change lives. I am only still in the introduction, but I am looking forward to seeing his direct point of view and learning how to make the most of this experience. I am glad, however, that I waited to begin this book until after my 30 day challenge. This way, I am not a victim of the power of suggestion- I had a pure, uninfluenced mind going into my challenge, and I was able to experience the change and impact for myself- not because I was "supposed to" be feeling it. However, I think now is a good time to read it- it will help me make the most of the last 20 days I have in my now 60 day challenge. In his book, he explains what to focus on in each posture and what you can do to gain the maximum benefits while in each. I have enjoyed the book so far, and am excited to continue reading.

Anyway- about yesterday's practice. Wonderful class. I have really enjoyed getting to know the people at the studio. They are, for the most part, wonderful people. There is one older man (the one who shared the amazing thought: "95% of life is just showing up.") that struggles through class every day- but always does it with a smile and determination. Him and I talked for a bit and shared our stories. He is a wonderful man, and a true inspiration. I also talked with another girl about the difference between Bikram and Weight Watchers (as we are both WW graduates)- an interesting comparison, and an interesting conversation. One thing I do not enjoy is those students that complain. There are a few people that spend the last few minutes before class complaining about the practice. Their topic of choice yesterday: how awful the Memphis studio is. Now, as a potential resident of the city of Memphis, I was initially interested in what they were saying. However, they were, of course, complaining. "There were so many people! It was so hot! They wouldn't let us talk!" Ok, really? REALLY? You are complaining about the heat?! I just ignored those ridiculous complaints, but it went further- "They wouldn't let us drink water whenever we wanted, we could only do it when they said we could. And we couldn't wipe sweat! I mean really, not wipe sweat? They said it is a waste of energy and distracts the people next to you. I think that is so stupid, I can do what I want!" Now, more than ever, I am starting to dislike the overly-relaxed, lack of discipline that our studio holds. As I have discussed several times, I have really enjoyed these new guidelines, and I think they have dramatically improved my practice. I think if other people were less critical and more open to these ideas, they would find the same improvement. It got me thinking about the negativity that so many people display. Complaining is such a common practice for so many people (especially in America). It is a way to break silence and 'bond' with others. I would be a liar if I said I never complain, but I try my hardest to keep my complaining to a minimum, and only do it at appropriate times to appropriate people. I don't do it to a room full of people who don't care and may not appreciate the negative comments. I found it very rude for these women to have this discussion in the studio, just minutes before we began. I think the Memphis studio sounds like a place I would enjoy, and I look forward to the possibility that I will move there and begin practicing there- I look forward to the increased structure. I will continue to follow these guidelines and improve my practice. If these ladies choose to enter class filled with negative energy and a complete lack of discipline, that is their choice. I am just determined to get the most out of those 90 minutes every day as I can.

On another note, something happened yesterday that filled me with such complete happiness. A friend of mine, as a result of this blog and my practiced, has decided to embark on a 30 day challenge of her own. I think it is fantastic that I have inspired her and rekindled her love for Bikram. To you, my friend, I wish you the best of luck on your journey, and I look forward to hearing about your experience!

I am so happy!