Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day 50- only 10 left!

I want to being this post a bit differently. I would like to address something that perhaps I should have at the beginning of this journey. What is Bikram yoga? Now, I am not going to go into much detail here- if you really want to know (and I hope you do), you can do some simple research on your own, or read one of Bikram's books. I would mostly like to say what Bikram yoga is not. Many people have said to me, "Oh wow, it must be nice to go into a calm, dark room and meditate and relax for 90 minutes every day." Many assume that I am doing some fluffy, simple, relaxing, minimal effort practice. Many assume many things. Perhaps this is my fault for not educating my friends and family enough on my journey, or perhaps this is purely others not knowing about Bikram. Either way, I am slightly hurt that others would make such minimal assumptions about this challenge. There is nothing easy or fluffy about it. It has been such amazingly challenging and difficult journey, both physically and mentally. Bikram is so different from what many people see as yoga- it isnt slow, soothing, wind chimes and closed eyes. It is sweat, struggle, determination, focus, and strength. It is giving everything you have. It is changing your body and challenging your mind. It is digging up every bit of motivation you can, and leaving everything in that room. It is hard. It is difficult. It is a challenge. So please, I encourage you to find out more about Bikram. No more assuming. (It is funny- I write this in hopes of opening the minds of so many, yet those who need the guidance are most likely not going to read this... what a shame.)

OK, rant over.

Today I focused a lot on an element of the practice that I have managed to neglect over the past 50 days. I have not neglected it because I was unaware of it, but rather because I have been placing my focus on other aspects of my practice instead (ie locked knee, discipline, focus). I am really bad at engaging my abdominal muscles and sucking my stomach in. This is supposed to not only help build ab muscles, but it also helps support the spine and enhance the depth of postures. I have always had trouble distinguishing between sucking in my stomach and holding my breath- just something I have struggled with for a long time. I find it very hard to breathe when I engage my ab muscles, like my lungs cant fully inflate. So I am taking baby steps with this bit- just working on making sure I am not pushing out my stomach. It is amazing what a difference this makes in many of the postures- it makes them harder!

Other than that, class was lovely. Caroline was teaching again, and I really enjoy her. Also, as I am continuing to read Bikram's book and get a bit more in depth description of the postures, I am able to make sure my form is spot on. I am really determined to do this the right way- I am not in that room to make it easy or do it half assed. "The right way is the hard way."

I cant believe I only have 10 days left. Many of you have asked, and yes, I do plan to continue with Bikram once my challenge is over. Though I would love to continue on to a 90 day challenge, I cant. I am going out of town several weekends during June and July, so I will be unable to attend daily. But yes, I plan to continue on my Bikram journey. And I plan to continue it wherever the wind takes me this August. I must say- I am very ready to leave Nashville, but I am so sad to be leaving the Bikram Cool Springs studio. Why is it that after nearly 2 years of living here and being so unhappy, I finally just now find something that I enjoy? It is funny how life works out some times...