Friday, August 20, 2010

"You are stronger than you think you are."

...A thought shared by a Bikram teacher this week- it keeps resonating in my mind. So simple and so obvious, but sometimes saying it out loud really hits home. Just wanted to share!

I only managed to make it to 2 Bikram classes since my last post. But they were lovely. I really enjoy this studio. There is a lot of structure and it is very disciplined. I like that. It helps me in my struggle with discipline within my practice. I have had exposure to several different teachers, all of which I enjoyed. Katie was a visiting teacher from NYC and I dug her funky style and yankee accent. Connie (who had been a visiting instructor in Nashille) is strict yet supportive, and always smiling. Jo showed the fluffy loving earth mother side, and worked to help us expand our Bikram principals to our real lives. Jeff (I think that was his name, I cant remember...) was by the book and spot on with his instruction, yet somehow managed to bring an unspoken personal touch to the session. I have enjoyed having different teachers, and also not knowing who will be teaching at any given time. I like the element of surprise. And I really enjoy experiencing all of their different styles.

I am still struggling to get back into the practice. I am taking my time and remaining patient with myself. If there was one thing I am trying to remind myself from my 60 day challenge, it is that this practice takes time. Weeks, months, years. Something I have noticed about myself that is different from my previous practice is that my jealousy of the ability of others has turned into down right awe. There are several women that have a beautiful style and an immaculate practice, and I am amazed with their abilities. I am not comparing myself as I used to. I hope this change in my perspective is not temporary!

I hope to make it to a class this weekend, but I may have to wait until I get paid next week. Being a slave to the paycheck is never fun.

Life outside of Bikram has been hectic. I am enjoying my new job, but it often reminds me that I want more in my career. I know I need to apply to programs, but I just cant muster the strength to do it. I am taking 2 graduate level classes this fall: Child Psychopathology and Intro to ABA- 2 things I consider myself an expert in, yet have never had an actual class in. My job allows me to take classes for free at any state university, so I am enrolled at University of Memphis as a non-degree seeking grad student. I am hoping being back in an academic setting will add some fuel to the fire and get me on my way to applying. We shall see. Classes start in 1 week and I am really excited (not just to be back in a school setting, but hopefully to meet some new people as well!).

I havent had much of a chance to explore Memphis yet. My "to do" list is still on my fridge, waiting patiently. Brandon is too busy with school to accompany me on any of these fun things, so I have realized I must take it upon myself to see what's out there (before dusk and in safe parts of the city, dont you worry!). I really need to upload some pictures... so lazy.

Still riding the roller-coaster of emotion that accompanies a move like this, but where is the fun in life if you are just sitting still, right?