Thursday, February 10, 2011

The PROS of treadmill running:

(Rating: PG13)

Memphis was hit by yet another snowpocalypse (about 3 inches of fluffy white snow) and we had a snow day from work today. While snow days make me happier than a kid in a candy store, they do bring one sliver of frustration: treadmill running. The sidewalks and roads are way too slippery and icy to tackle, so off to the gym I go. As I have mentioned before, my apartment complex has a tiny gym we can use for free; nothing fancy, but a few machines and weights. Whenever I go, there are maybe 2 or 3 other people in there, usually young girls on the ellipticals, maybe one or two guys lifting weights. Not much eye candy, unfortunately.

Now let's be honest here: I slightly dread treadmill running. I get anxious about knowing my speed, pace, and time, as they are displayed in bright flashing red lights right in my face. I cover up the display with a towel, but it doesn't prevent the occasional peek. I get anxious about looking at myself in a mirror the entire time. I get anxious about falling off the stupid machine. I get anxious about the whole situation, and I tend to let myself get all worked up and either push myself too hard, or I am miserable the entire time. But, nonetheless, the running must continue. I bundled up, grabbed my water bottle, and slowly walked over. I got to the door of the gym (which was all fogged up since it is so cold out), and walk into my own personal heaven:

10 handsome, muscular, sweaty men. *drool*

I didn't even think that since everything in Memphis is closed today that all of the guys in my complex would have to use this gym instead of their high-tech fancy gyms. There was a treadmill open, and I stagger over, trying not to trip over something as I strain to oogle using my peripheral vision. I get set up, stretch, warm up, then set out on my 3 miles. (Thank goodness it was just a 3 mile day and not a long run!) Let me tell you: there is nothing more motivating than a swarm of sexy men within 20 feet of you. And let's go a little bit further here... the guy on the treadmill next to me was a Clemson fan/student/alumni. He had a Clemson water bottle and a Clemson sweatshirt on. *more drool* And he was handsome beyond all belief. *drowning in drool* Have I died and gone to heaven? Of course my nerves got the best of me and I couldn't dig up the courage to say anything; dammit, I may have just passed up a meeting with my soul mate! (Ha, just kidding... maybe?)

So while I still find very few PROS when it comes to treadmill running, I was very pleased to stumble across this little pick-me-up! Thanks, Memphis Snowpocalypse #8 of 2011!

The bridge from my apartment complex to Riverfront Park at dusk.