Monday, February 20, 2012

Knee's Needs

Dear Knees,
I am sorry.
Love,
Amy Mary

I have never really had any major knee trouble. A few aches and pains for a day or two after a long run, a little bit of trouble with my left IT band last year, but nothing too earth-shattering. The good ole ankles hold that reputation.

During the past month of training, my knees have started feeling like the younger, neglected children in the family and are starting to rebel as their means of gaining attention away from their siblings, the ankles. My lower body is like a household with 2 young children that are constantly fighting. I am 10 minutes away from sending them to their rooms to cool off and grounding them for a month without TV or dessert.

Unfortunately, I feel I am to blame for my recent knee rebellion. I have kept my long runs to 10 miles for the past 5 weeks, which really is not a big deal for this bad ass. HOWEVER, the last time I had a good 10 mile base, I was a solid 10-15 lbs lighter. And on my little frame, that makes a HUGE difference to my joints. And I am certain that is why I look like I need a walker and take 20 minutes to get down 1 flight of stairs.

While I look at weight loss as a purely appearance-based, my knees are literally screaming to remind me that staying in a healthy weight range is so much more than looking cute in a bikini. It is essential that I keep my weight in check and avoid my knees from throwing a full-out tantrum. I have really struggled over the past 2 months with shedding these pesky pounds I gained while injured. I am hoping that, with the motivation of shutting my knees up, I will be able to really focus and get with the program. I still eat very healthy, just in copious amounts. Whoops.

So, knees, I mean it- I am sorry. Please, I beg of you, be kind to me, and I promise I will lose weight. The words of Bikram ring in my ears with every painful step I take:

You can mess with the gods, but you can't mess with your knees!