Thursday, February 16, 2012

Whatcha want?

I love writing. And I love running (most of the time). And I enjoy the interaction and social "life" that comes along with blogging. I have been reading a lot of running blogs over the past few months (I got really addicted back in November when I was injured... it's like I got my running fix by reading and living vicariously through others- complete strangers, to be exact.) and have learned a lot about what makes a blog AMAZING vs CRAPPY. A few little tid-bits I picked up...

AMAZING BLOGS:
-Happy, funny, optimistic, and entertaining- yet realistic
-Share experiences from a personal point of view
-Inspirational
-Offer information you can actually use or relate to
-Relatively short posts, as to please the ADHD child in all of us
-Pictures
-Lists

CRAPPY BLOGS:
-Pessimistic ranting, leaving you feeling like you are the scum of the earth
-Poor fonts and graphics
-Boring
-Rambling on... and on... and on...
-947 posts a day

Also, I noticed a lot of overlap in the types of posts on popular sites:
-Progress updates
-Recipes
-Product reviews
-Race recaps
-Questions for the audience

SO, after doing enough research to write an A+ 5th grade book report on "Running Blogs In The USA by Amy Mary", I think I know what it takes to be a super awesome popular amazing running blogger. Get excited, because some day a stranger will come up to you and be like OMG YOU KNOW AMY?! SHE'S SO FAMOUS! And you will be all like, yea whatevs, brush your shoulder off, proud to be an acquaintance of mine. Mark my words... stop laughing...

NOW I NEED YOUR HELP! While I can read, research, and copy learn from other bloggers, ultimately, I WANT TO PLEASE YOU, my captive audience of, what 5 people? Awesome. Gotta start somewhere, right? So, please, tell me: What do you like reading about? What keeps you coming back for more? What would you like to hear more/less about? Share your ideas with me as a comment, email, or smoke signal.